Cloud Foundry continues to grow.
Here are a few example: The Cloud Foundry holds the second spot in the OpenStack user survey, right behind Kubernetes, as the most popular application tool.
According to Chip Childers, CTO of the Cloud Foundry Foundation, many Fortune 500 companies are using Cloud Foundry.
Microsoft, yes Microsoft, is embracing Cloud Foundry and has joined the Cloud Foundry Foundation.
“Cloud Foundry on Azure has seen a lot of customer success, enabling cloud migration with application modernization while still offering an open, portable and hybrid platform,” said Corey Sanders, Director of Compute, Azure.
What does it all mean?
It means there is a huge demand for certified Cloud Foundry developers and this is no secret that there is a huge gap between supply and demand of open source developers.
To narrow this gap and enable companies to get the talent that they need, the foundation started a certification program in March this year, which was offered via a partnership with the Linux Foundation.
Since March, the program has already trained more than 5,000 developers and now the foundation is officially launching the program. At the Cloud Foundry Summit Silicon Valley 2017 that’s going on in Santa Clara, the organization formally launched the Cloud Foundry Certified Developer (CFCD) program.
The training is being offered broadly, from global partners including: Biarca, CapGemini, Cognizant, Dell EMC, EngineerBetter, Fast Lane, IBM, Innovivi, Linux Foundation, Pivotal, Resilient Scale, SAP, Stark & Wayne and Swisscom.
“We knew the need for cloud-native skills was significant, but the response to this program has been explosive,” said Childers. “After a gradual program rollout over the last couple months — training 5,000 developers on the way — CFCD is now generally available. This product was conceived and developed to solve the demand of developer productivity for the many Fortune 500 organizations using Cloud Foundry.”
The program enables developers gain cloud skills and expertise across all certified Cloud Foundry distributions including Atos Cloud Foundry, Huawei FusionStage, IBM Bluemix Cloud Foundry, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, SAP Cloud Platform and Swisscom Application Cloud.
The program is available online and can taken wherever there is demand in the world. The program includes:
- A free introductory course offered via the edX platform.
- A self-paced eLearning Cloud Foundry Developer course.
- A training partner program which includes licensed materials for in-person or eLearning Cloud Foundry developer classes offered by training partners including: Biarca, CapGemini, Cognizant, Dell EMC, EngineerBetter, Fast Lane, IBM, Innovivi, Pivotal, Resilient Scale, SAP, Stark & Wayne and Swisscom.
- “Cloud Foundry Certified Developer” Certification, awarded to individuals who pass a performance-based exam.
Candidates for the certification exam should have hands-on practical experience building software that runs on Cloud Foundry. Topics covered in the exam include:
- Cloud Foundry basics
- Cloud-native architectural principles
- Troubleshooting applications on Cloud Foundry
- Cloud-native application security
- Working with services in Cloud Foundry
- Application management on Cloud Foundry
- Container management within Cloud Foundry
- Aptitude in modifying simple Java, Node.js and Ruby applications
Developers can get the Cloud Foundry for Developers course for just $1 when purchasing the exam at regular price — a savings of almost $500 — until 23 June.